Skip to main content

Prince William pulls out of godfather's memorial service due to 'personal matter'

Share
LONDON -

Prince William has pulled out of attending a memorial service at Windsor Castle for his godfather, the late King Constantine of Greece, because of an unspecified personal reason, his office said Tuesday.

"Unfortunately, the Prince of Wales is no longer able to attend the King Constantine Memorial Service this morning due to a personal matter," Kensington Palace said.

The palace declined to give any further details, but it comes after his wife Kate, 42, underwent abdominal surgery last month. Officials have previously said Kate was making good progress in her recovery and following the announcement on Tuesday, a royal source said Kate was continuing to do well.

It is rare, but not unheard of, for the royals to pull out of an engagement. William had called his family to let them know he would be unable to attend, the source said.

Following Kate's operation, William, the 41-year-old heir to the throne, postponed official duties to care for their three children, before resuming engagements earlier this month. His wife is not due to return to public events until after Easter.

His absence comes as his father King Charles, 75, is also unable to perform his public role as he undergoes treatment for an unspecified form of cancer.

Another royal source said there was no connection between William's personal matter and the king's health.

In Charles' absence, his wife Camilla has become the most senior royal performing engagements.

She was joined by other senior royals at the service at Windsor Castle for the late King Constantine, who died aged 82 in January last year and was a relation of William's grandfather.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Local Spotlight

'It was surreal': Ontario mother gives birth to son on day of solar eclipse

For many, Monday's total solar eclipse will become a distant memory or collection of photos to scroll through in the years to come. But for Alannah Duarte and her family, they'll be reminded of the rare celestial event every year they celebrate their youngest son's birthday, as he was born on the day of the momentous occasion.