A natural gas leak prompted evacuations and street closures in Halifax Thursday morning. The following streets were closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic: “Police are asking the public to remain away from the area. Those in the area are asked not to start their cars,” read a news release from the Halifax Regional Police, issued at 11:15 a.m. Police were on scene assisting Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency with traffic control as a natural gas distribution company worked to crimp the line. “Emergency Management has sent a safety message out on the Halifax Alert System. No injuries reported. The source and cause is currently unknown,” said Assistant Chief Sherry Dean, with Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency, in a statement. A hfxALERT from the City of Halifax said the gas leak was being contained and “first responders are evacuating those who need to be.” A social media post from the Halifax Regional Municipality sent around 12:30 p.m. said the gas leak had been resolved, streets have reopened, and residents can return to their homes. For more Nova Scotia news, visit our dedicated provincial page