OAKLAND, Calif. - A new lawsuit has been filed against Monster Beverage alleging that a U.S. teenager died last year from cardiac arrhythmia caused by habitually drinking the company's energy drink.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in California alleges that 19-year-old Alex Morris would not have died if he had not consumed two cans of the energy drink every day for the three years before his death, including the day he died.

The lawsuit says Morris went into cardiac arrest July 1 and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The family of a 14-year-old U.S. girl also sued the company last year after she consumed two 24-ounce (680-gram) cans of Monster and died.

Monster representatives did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.