Quebec Premier François Legault took to X on Tuesday to congratulate Liberal Party of Canada Leader Mark Carney on his election victory. “I will work with him to promote Quebec’s interests by protecting our identity and our economy in the face of Donald Trump’s tariffs,” Legault wrote on X. Monday night, Carney led the Liberals to a minority win, the party’s fourth mandate following an election dominated by issues of affordability, tariffs and annexation threats from U.S. President Donald Trump. As of Tuesday morning, the Liberals had won or were leading in 168 out of 343 ridings. Pierre Poilievre’s Conservatives are set to remain in opposition, with 144 ridings. Parties need 172 seats to form a majority. The Bloc Québécois is at 23, the NDP has seven and the Green Party has one seat. Legault is expected to speak more on Tuesday afternoon. Mixed reaction in Quebec At the National Assembly, Quebec Liberal Party (PLQ) MNA André Fortin congratulated Carney on his party’s victory. “The number one issue for people right now is managing this issue with the U.S., finding other markets for our businesses, making sure that our businesses are well-equipped to survive and navigate through these hard times,” he said, adding that he believes economic management is one of the federal Liberals’ strong suits. Nevertheless, Fortin said he feels for the Bloc Québécois, which lost several seats in the province. “It is tough for the Bloc, for a party that is clearly a sovereigntist party, to shine at a time where Quebecers and Canadians are coming together to fight a common enemy, which is the United States of America right now,” he said. Parti Québécois (PQ) Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon said he’s worried Carney’s Liberals will simply “continue Justin Trudeau’s politics.” “I have long denounced how the federal Liberals are prejudicious against Quebec: uncontrolled immigration, sabotage at our borders, which are giving way to the housing crisis and a decline in the French language.,” he said. St-Pierre Plamondon went so far as to say he’s prepared for Carney’s Liberals to treat Quebec with “hostility or indifference.” “Mark Carney is a threat to Quebec’s interests,” he said, reiterating that he believes the country has signed up for a second Justin Trudeau. “We can’t expect anything else other than what we already know under Trudeau.” Québec solidaire co-spokesperson Ruba Ghazal insisted Monday night’s results have no influence on what’s happening in the province. “I have only confidence in people here in Quebec to make good decisions for Quebec,” she said, noting Legault previously tried to “negotiate” with Trudeau. “I think it will also be a failure with Mark Carney.”