No-fuss meal recipes ready for your vacation return
Published Friday, March 7, 2014 6:58AM EST Last Updated Friday, March 7, 2014 9:27AM EST
CAULIFLOWER MAC AND CHEESE
Mac and cheese is a childhood favourite so why not give it some added nutrition by hiding a few cauliflower florets in the cheese to create a full meal. This is basically cauliflower and cheese sauce with some added carbs.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or penne pasta
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3¼ cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Emmenthal cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup roasted cauliflower
- ¼ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining the noodles.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan and add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 2 minutes, or until mixture begins to look opaque.
- Whisk in the milk and continue to stir over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken. You have now created a béchamel sauce!
- Reduce the heat and stir in 3 cups of the Cheddar, the Emmenthal, salt, pepper, mustard and nutmeg until melted and well blended.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir to coat. Carefully add the cauliflower.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Pour the mixture into a 3-litre (3-quart) ovenproof dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, remaining Cheddar, the Parmesan cheese and oil together. Sprinkle on top of the prepared pasta.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, or until the sauce is bubbly and the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy
ROASTED CUMIN-SCENTED CAULIFLOWER
Serves 3-4 as a side dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon flaky salt (preferably Maldon)
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets of similar size
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir the olive oil, cumin seeds, ground coriander, lemon juice and salt together.
- Add the cauliflower florets and coat with the oil mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until the florets are soft and slightly brown. Stir the cauliflower after 10 minutes of cooking so that the pieces brown evenly.
PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SMOOTHIE
Makes 2 large or 4 small smoothies
This is a meal in a glass, serving up protein and lots of fiber and potassium to give you a natural boost for the day. Keep some bananas in the freezer for this quick pick me up.
- 2 ripe frozen bananas
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup peanut butter
- A handful of ice cubes
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender until the mixture is smooth and frothy. Serve immediately.
- Bananas freeze well. Cut up ripe bananas and freeze flat in a container or freezer bag.
- Two medium mashed bananas are equal to 1 cup in cooking terms.