Lidia Bastianich's Mozzarella and Celery Salad
Published Friday, October 18, 2013 9:48AM EDT Last Updated Friday, October 18, 2013 9:48AM EDT
Everybody is familiar with the Caprese salad, the perfect combination of tomato and mozzarella, or mozzarella and roasted peppers. This recipe made with celery instead is a fresh and tasty alternative, especially in the winter months, when tomatoes are not at their best.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons -extra--virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cubed
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups celery thinly sliced on the bias, with some leaves
In a serving bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, and salt. Then slowly whisk in the olive oil to make a smooth dressing. Add the mozzarella, walnuts, and celery. Toss well with the dressing, and serve. Or you can plate a more formal version with fanned, sliced mozzarella and the dressed celery and walnuts on top.