Video reportedly shows 2 Canadian hostages in Philippines
This image made from undated militant video, shows Canadians John Ridsdel, right, and Robert Hall, centre. (Militant Video via AP Video)
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, March 11, 2016 2:21PM EST
Media reports say Islamic extremists have released another video purportedly showing two Canadians abducted in the southern Philippines.
It is the third video released by militants since the abductions last September.
Canadians Robert Hall and John Ridsdel -- along with a Norwegian man and a Filipino woman -- were kidnapped from a resort by members of Abu Sayyaf -- a local group that has pledged allegiance to Islamic State jihadists in Iraq and Syria.
Various media reports say the video was uploaded on social media sites on Thursday.
According to the media reports, the hostages -- looking frail and emaciated -- say the militants have threatened to kill them unless a ransom is paid within 30 days.
In an earlier video released late last year, the militants demanded more than $60 million for the release of the four hostages.
The plight of the abducted Canadians was raised in the House of Commons on Friday when Ontario Conservative MP Marilyn Gladu asked what the government was doing to free them.
Omar Alghabra, parliamentary secretary to Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion, said the government was "on top of the file" but refused to comment further.
The Philippine government maintains a no-ransom policy, and has previously said there would be no letup in efforts to secure the hostages' freedom in the safest way possible.
Reuters news agency quoted a Philippine military spokesman as saying the military is getting closer to the band of militants.