The Kitchener Market is set to reopen on Sept. 5, nearly two months after a fire broke out inside the main building. However, it won’t be business as usual. The City of Kitchener said it will be operating with a “modified format” that will “significantly expand the products available to shoppers, including meat and dairy.” The fire started at a vendor’s stall around 1 a.m. on July 12. Officials said, even though the flames were contained to relatively small area, the smoke and soot spread to other parts of the building. Since then, the doors have remained closed so workers could clean up and make any necessary repairs. The outdoor market was not affected by the fire. A staff report, which will be presented to council on Monday, said 16 indoor vendors have resumed operations through a temporary arrangement with the market. “However, most are operating with less than 50 per cent of their traditional footprint and have reduced product offerings due to infrastructure constraints,” it said. “At present, only one meat vendor and one cheese vendor have been able to operate under these conditions.” In an effort to help vendors, the city has waived their rent since July 18. Councillors will also be asked at a meeting on Monday night to approve a temporary reduction of vendor fees while the city works towards a full restoration of the building. “The planned expansion is expected to enable more than 30 additional vendors to resume operations, representing 72 per cent of vendors typically located within the lower market level,” the staff report said. “Once the interim market is established, staff are recommending that a reduced rate rent structure be implemented until the market is fully operational.” That date is still being determined while the city works with insurers and Waterloo Region Public Health, as well as its remediation and renovation contractors. “Over the estimated six-month recovery period, the city expects to invest between $240,000 and $270,000 in vendor supports, temporary infrastructure, services and rent reductions to help businesses continue operating,” a media release said.