With just hours before the extended tariff deadline hits, N.B. Premier Susan Holt is remaining out of the spotlight. According to her weekly Facebook video, Holt went backcountry camping with a friend Friday and was unavailable for an on-camera interview on the tariffs. But in a statement Thursday she said she’s looking forward to a signed deal. “We are expecting to see tariff reductions, and once the details have been finalized and shared, we will weigh-in on the deal for New Brunswick,” her statement said. Prince Edward Island Premier Rob Lantz’s office also did not respond to a request for interview. Meanwhile in Banff on Thursday, Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston said he’s willing to put U.S. alcohol back on shelves to help reach a deal. “If the federal government asks you to do something that’s good for the country, then you take that and you move forward with that and that will certainly be the approach of Nova Scotia,” he said. As the potential of a deal or 50 per cent tariffs looms, it’s an anxious time for a forestry sector that’s already reeling from steep tariff hikes last year. “It’s exactly August of 2025 when we saw our softwood lumber duties go up to 35%. So the hits have kept coming since then,” said Derek Nighbor, the president and CEO of the Forest Products Association of Canada. He’s hoping any deal will include the removal of both the proposed tariffs, and the steep softwood lumber tariffs introduced last year. “I was encouraged that trade representative Jamieson Greer earlier this week talked about strengthening the North American economy, making North America a manufacturing powerhouse. That’s the kind of language I think we as Canadians can really get behind,” he said. Meanwhile in Fredericton, residents are expressing their support of the federal negotiation team. “I think the prime minister is doing a good job with what he’s working with,” local resident Yvonne Samson said.“I am proud to be Canadian, I think they’re handling things very well and I support them 100 per cent,” said Cindy Doig, who was visiting Fredericton from Ontario. And they have less support for U.S. president Donald Trump. “Don’t like the tariffs. Don’t like Donald,” local resident Carol Armstrong said. All three say even if U.S. alcohol bans are removed, they will be sticking to Canadian drinks. “I would not be buying American liquor. I don’t buy American products now if I can help it,” Samson said. For more New Brunswick news, visit our dedicated provincial page.