June 17, 2011: Naz Cavallaro's Father's Day BBQ recipe
Published Friday, June 17, 2011 8:52AM EDT
**Prep time: 15 minutes
***Grilling time: 22 to 25 minutes
****Special equipment: 12-inch cast-iron skillet
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 4 thick slices toasted bread
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
2. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet combine the tomatoes, oil, garlic, all the herbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Brush the cooking grates clean. Place the skillet over direct medium heat, close the lid, and cook the sauce for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir the sauce again, and then, using the back of a large spoon, make eight shallow wells in the mixture so the skillet is barely visible through the sauce. The liquid from the sauce may begin to refill the indentations, but the wells should at least partially remain. Crack one egg into each indentation, close the lid, and cook over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the egg yolks have just started to cloud over and the whites are set as desired, 7 to 10 minutes.
4. Scoop the eggs and sauce onto thick slices of toast. Top with the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Access the grocery list for this recipe on your mobile device. timetogrill.mobi.
©2011 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber's Time To Grill™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission