N.S. confinement suspect faces more charges; hecklers thrown from court
Published Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:18AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:14PM EDT
The suspect accused in the confinement and sexual assault of a teenaged boy in Nova Scotia appeared in court Tuesday, where he was charged with five additional offences.
During Tuesday’s proceedings at the Bridgewater courthouse, David Leblanc was charged with sexual assault causing bodily harm, uttering a death threat, administering a noxious substance with intent to cause bodily harm, kidnapping, and breach of conditions.
Those charges were added to two Leblanc was already facing: sexual assault and forcible confinement.
Leblanc was charged after a 16-year-old boy appeared at a woman’s home last month, barefoot and in chains. RCMP said the boy escaped from a cottage in Upper Chelsea, which is about 130 kilometres southwest of Halifax.
Court documents indicate that the teen was abducted while he was sleeping on the street in Halifax, loaded into the back of a van and taken to a home.
It is alleged that the teen was repeatedly sexually assaulted while he was at the home for approximately 10 to 14 days.
RCMP issued warrants late last month for Leblanc, 47, and Wayne Alan Cunningham, 31, in relation to the case. Cunningham’s body was found in northern Ontario not far from Greenstone, where Leblanc was arrested on Sept. 30. Foul play is not suspected in Cunningham’s death.
The charges against Cunningham were formally withdrawn on Tuesday.
Police picked up Leblanc after witnesses reported seeing a shoeless man walking around the area.
Leblanc arrived in court Tuesday with bandaged feet. Police have said he required treatment for injuries he sustained while being outside in the cold without shoes.
Tuesday’s proceedings were interrupted by two young men who said they were friends of the victim who began shouting at the accused.
One yelled, “I hope you hear me, goof,” while the other yelled, “See you in jail, buddy,” before adding, “I hope he dies.”
The two men were thrown out of the courtroom.
Leblanc’s next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 23. Crown attorney Lloyd Tancock told reporters he believes Leblanc is still looking for a lawyer, which could delay that court date.
With a report from CTV Atlantic’s Kayla Hounsell and files from The Canadian Press