Jays closer Roberto Osuna suspended after assault charge
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, June 22, 2018 6:56PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 22, 2018 9:17PM EDT
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball has suspended Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna through Aug. 4 for violating the league's joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy.
MLB announced the suspension -- which is retroactive to May 8 and will cover a total of 75 games -- in a release on Friday. The league says Osuna has agreed not to appeal the suspension and he will participate in a confidential and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program supervised by the joint policy board of MLB and the players' association.
The 23-year-old Osuna is facing an assault charge and had been on paid administrative leave by MLB since being arrested last month.
The Blue Jays said in a statement that they "support the decision by the Commissioner's Office."
Osuna appeared in 15 games (15 1/3 innings) for Toronto this season, allowing 16 hits, five runs and one walk while earning nine saves. He has not pitched since May 6, two days before he was put on administrative leave.
He is 8-13 with a 2.87 earned-run average and 104 saves over four seasons with the Blue Jays.
Osuna's lawyer, Domenic Basile, said in court in Toronto Monday that Osuna intends to plead not guilty to the assault charge. Osuna's case is scheduled to return to court July 9.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons was asked before Toronto's game against the Angels in Los Angeles Friday if knowing the length of the penalty helps the team.
"I guess that helps," Gibbons said. "We've kind of moved past that anyway and made do with what we've had."
Osuna will lose about $2.54 million of his $5.3 million salary.
With files from The Associated Press