The City of Prince Albert has denied Ronald McDonald House Saskatchewan’s (RMHS) request to offload some of its development costs. At the Monday night meeting of city council, RMHS CEO Tammy Forrester asked councillors for the city to carry the cost of paving around the proposed site at 25th Street West, from 7th Avenue to 10th Avenue West. “Just the asphalt and pavement portion of it. And that is what we are requesting. We don’t pay upfront for the full 25th Street costs and just pay for our portion of that pavement,” she said. This would be the first location in the city for the Ronald McDonald House, a charitable organization that provides a “home-away-from-home” for families whose children are receiving medical care. The organization previously entered a separate agreement to carry water infrastructure costs for the street and to collect contribution or reimbursement from benefitting property owners. “Nothing has changed for that,” said Forrester about the water infrastructure agreement. “We are covering our costs as per our agreement with the city. We hadn’t finalized the agreements on the surfacing, and so I felt it was our opportunity to revisit that and look at ways that we can perhaps work together on paying for the full surfacing.” Ronald McDonald House previously said it would take reasonable action to enter an agreement for paving with comparable payment responsibilities to the water infrastructure agreement. The organization has more than 5 acres of land at this location but has determined only 2.7 acres are needed for the build. Some of the remaining property is not suitable for construction but the organization plans to use it for community space. A second request by the organization to only pay development levies on the 2.7 acres was also denied. “As a council, I feel we have a responsibility to apply our policies consistently,” said Councillor Dawn Kilmer. “Assuming private development costs, even for a valued non-profit such as Ronald McDonald House, sets a precedent that we can’t sustain.” Administration said the levy request is not in alignment with existing policy.