Recipe for Vinarterta: Traditional Icelandic cake since 1875
Arden Jackson, Vinarterta.ca
Published Friday, April 10, 2015 8:30AM EDT
- 20-30 Servings - Serving Size 83g. Calories 256.
- % Daily Value: Carbs 41g 11%, Fat 9g 12%. Protein 3g 6%, Fibre 3g 10%.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- Add sugar gradually, then eggs one at a time beating well
- Add cream and flavorings
- Add some of the flour mixed with the baking powder
- Knead in the remaining flour
- Divide the dough into 7 parts, wrap and chill for one hour
- Using an 8” cake pan as a template cut out 7 parchment paper rounds to place layers on for cooking
- Roll out the dough one piece at a time on a lightly floured parchment paper round and cut to size
- Place on baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes
- Repeat with the remaining cookie layers. Cool
Prune Plum Filling
- 1 pounds pitted prunes
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cover the prunes with cold water and cook until soft. Cool
- Blend until a smooth paste is formed
- Add the cardamom and vanilla. Cool
- Divide filling evenly between the 7 layers of cake
- Spread filling on one cookie layer at a time and stack the layers
- When the layers are evenly stacked, wrap the cake and store in a cool place overnight or up to two days to allow the layers to absorb the filling and moisten
Butter Cream Icing
- 1/4 cup butter (soft)
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp each almond and vanilla flavoring
- Blend together the ingredients and spread on cake.
- Serve at room temperature. Cut into .75” thick x 1.5” long slices.
- Keeps well for 2-3 weeks refrigerated or 3 months in freezer.