The measles outbreak in the Sussex, N.B., region that broke out earlier this summer is now over, according to Public Health. The organization officially declared the outbreak on July 14. The disease spread to 15 people and the last confirmed case was found on July 19. “Although this outbreak has ended, it is a clear reminder of how quickly diseases like measles can arrive in our communities,” said Dr. Kimberley Barker, regional medical officer of health, in a news release. “Immunization remains our strongest defence against vaccine-preventable diseases like measles. I encourage all New Brunswickers to remain vigilant and up to date with their vaccinations.” Public Health says the measles vaccine is available to people who were born in 1970 or later, or people who haven’t received two doses. The measles virus is transmitted via direct contact with an infected person and through the air. It can be severe for adults and infants. “I’m deeply grateful to the dedicated Public Health team and our health system partners for their work in containing this outbreak,” said Barker. “I would also like to thank those living in the region for their adherence to the guidance provided by Public Health. It was through this collective effort – working together, across sectors and communities – that we were able to quickly bring this outbreak to an end.” For more New Brunswick news, visit our dedicated provincial page.