32 contenders on shortlist for Canadians' favourite new restaurant
Canadians can vote online for their favourite new restaurant from a list compiled by Air Canada's enRoute magazine.
The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:47AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, August 11, 2015 11:48AM EDT
TORONTO -- Canadians can vote online for their favourite new restaurant from a list compiled by Air Canada's enRoute magazine.
The selection of 32 contenders, from Galiano Island in British Columbia to an oyster house in St. John's, N.L., are examples of the country's diverse culinary identity.
The shortlisted restaurants have been nominated by a volunteer panel of food and hospitality industry leaders.
The establishments all opened between approximately June 2014 and June 2015, and have also been visited and judged anonymously by international food and wine writer Andrew Braithwaite during a month-long dining marathon. He'll narrow the list to his top 10 for the November issue of enRoute magazine.
The nominees are:
- St. John's, N.L.: Adelaide Oyster House, Merchant Tavern
- St. John, N.B.: Port City Royal
- Quebec City: Ciel! Bistro-Bar, Le Renard et la Chouette
- Val-David, Que.: La Table des Gourmets
- Montreal: GEMA Pizzeria, Jatoba, Lavanderia, Salmigondis
- Gatineau, Que.: Soif
- Ottawa: North & Navy
- Wellington, Ont. (Prince Edward County): Drake Devonshire
- Toronto: Bar Raval, Boralia, Buca Yorkville, DaiLo, Dandylion, Hanmoto, Little Sister, Yasu
- Hamilton, Ont.: Brux House
- Winnipeg: Enoteca
- Calgary: The Nash, Pigeonhole
- Edmonton: Rostizado
- Vancouver: AnnaLena, Bauhaus, Grapes & Soda, Sai Woo
- Sooke, B.C.: Wild Mountain Food & Drink
- Galiano Island, B.C.: Pilgrimme
Diners who vote are entered to win a trip to dine at the nominated restaurant of their choice.
As of Nov. 1, readers will be able to download the updated enRoute Eats app, which includes details of this year's top 10 restaurants and previous years' winners, along with enRoute-recommended restaurants across the country.