Quebec officer killed in line of duty had been with the force for six months
Published Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:17AM EST
Last Updated Monday, February 15, 2016 7:33AM EST
Quebec provincial police have identified the police officer who was shot and killed in Lac-Simon, Que., on Saturday night as 26-year-old Thierry Leroux.
Police say the incident occurred at about 10:30 p.m. when officers responded to a call about a "conflict" at a residence in the small community near Val D'Or, approximately 500 kilometres northwest of Montreal.
"Shortly after police arrived on the scene, at least 1 shot was fired in their direction … (it was) not possible (for them) to react," Sgt. Claude Denis, a spokesman for the Surete du Quebec, told CTV News.
Denis said that Leroux suffered serious injuries and later died.
Another officer was taken to hospital, but his injuries are not life-threatening.
Denis said that Leroux had been a member of the Lac-Simon police force for six months.
"It is very sad. This … is a young policeman," he said.
The alleged shooter has been identified as Joseph Anthony Raymond Papatie, 22, a resident of Lac-Simon. He suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead in the residence, Denis said.
Police say the officers did not return fire and they believe Papatie may have shot himself.
Authorities did not reveal whether Papatie lived at the residence where the incident occurred.
The alleged shooter left behind a Facebook message in French with an apology to friends and the line “I killed a police.” There were also various photos of the 22-year-old wearing military fatigues.
Lac-Simon Deputy Chief Pamela Papatie told reporters social workers are in place to help friends, family and community members.
In a statement, a spokesman for the Canadian Union of Public Employees said that Leroux was from Lac St-Jean, Que., and expressed his sympathy for Leroux's family.
"We are shaken by this horrible news," said Stephane Lachance.
"We offer our most sincere condolences to Thierry's family and loved ones."
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and Parti Quebecois leader Pierre Karl Peladeau also expressed their condolences for Leroux and his family on Twitter.
The Ministry of Public Safety has launched an independent investigation, which is being overseen by the Surete du Quebec.
With files from The Canadian Press