1 killed, 3 suffer electric shock when tent makes contact with hydro wire
Published Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:34PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, August 2, 2013 2:26PM EDT
One man is dead and three others suffered electric shock after a large tent they were putting up in southwestern Ontario touched a hydro wire.
Ontario Provincial Police and emergency crews responded to a call around 5 p.m. Thursday in LaSalle Line, located southeast of Watford, Ont.
Police say a six-man crew was pitching a large tent for a backyard wedding when the tent made contact with the wire. Four of the men were injured and taken to area hospitals.
Lambton OPP said in a statement that one of the men has since died as a result of his injuries while the other three remain in hospital with serious injuries.
The victim has been identified as Jeremy Bowley, 21, of London, Ont.
Police say the other three men -- one from West Elgin, Ont., and two more London, Ont. -- are now in stable condition.
The remaining two members of the crew were not hurt in the accident.
Hydro One and the Ministry of Labour attended the scene.
The six-man crew was working for the London-based company Signature Events Rental Centre. Spokeswoman Karen Marques said the company is very distraght over the incident.
"We've got a whole staff mourning here, we have family, we have friends," she said. "I mean it's a complete tragedy."
With files from The Canadian Press
Please read our guidelines before commenting on stories.