B.C. school shut amid flu fears; 34 cases in Canada
Published Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:40PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, May 18, 2012 10:47PM EDT
Canada's confirmed number of so-called swine flu cases rose to 34 Thursday after new cases were reported in five provinces -- including the first case in Quebec.
In B.C., health officials decided to shut down an elementary school in the Okanagan Thursday after a student fell ill with the virus, one of five new cases in the province.
"The student is experiencing a mild case and is at home recovering well," said a statement from the Health Services Ministry.
Other new bouts announced Thursday include: four in Alberta, four in Nova Scotia and one in Ontario.
All of the new cases are described as mild and health officials say they won't change their approach in combating the illness.
The rising numbers comes as Canada's chief public health officer said that the illness, commonly known as swine flu, will now be called the H1N1 flu virus.
Earlier in the day, Alberta and Nova Scotia confirmed four new cases each of the virus.
Alberta's top medical officer said four young adults in Calgary have been asked to stay home for a week after they returned from Mexico with the virus.
"They came back and had a mild course of illness and were managed at home and are all recovering," Alberta medical health officer Dr. Andre Corriveau said in Edmonton Thursday.
"That brings our total (in Alberta) -- to six cases."
Prime Minister Stephen Harper moved to reassure Canadians that officials around the world are working together to minimize the virus' spread.
He also reminded people to comply with health orders because the illness is a serious issue.
Officials are reminding the public to stay calm but are asking people to wash their hands, cover their mouths and to stay home if they show symptoms.
Meanwhile, four students at King's-Edgehill School who came down with the virus earlier this month have now fully recovered.
With files from The Canadian Press