A rally was held on Wednesday afternoon calling for Minister Nahanni Fontaine’s removal from cabinet, bringing out both protestors and counter-protestors to the grounds of the Manitoba Legislative Building. Organizers said the rally was held after Fontaine shared a social media post about the killing of American conservative activist Charlie Kirk, who was fatally shot at a university south of Salt Lake City, Utah on Sept. 10. The post described Kirk as racist, sexist and transphobic, calling him a “white nationalist mouthpiece” that incited hatred. The post’s author said they had no empathy for Kirk, except for his children, who are believed to have witnessed the killing. “We’re not saying that she should be removed from caucus, but we do think that she should be removed from her duties, especially as the minister of families,” said Wayne Sturby, who spoke at the rally. “We just think that our politicians, the people that we elect, who represent all of Manitoba, that they need to conduct themselves in an ethically and highly moral way,” he said. “And if they don’t …they pretty much expose that they do not deserve to be in a place of authority.” Fontaine issued a brief written statement last month in which she apologized for sharing the post. “Violence has no place in our democracy. Political debate is achieved with words and discussion,” the statement read in part. However, Sturby claims “a lot of Manitobans” aren’t convinced that the apology was genuine or sincere and is calling for accountability. Premier Wab Kinew, who has condemned the killing of Kirk and stressed the need for empathy, told reporters in September that Fontaine would remain in cabinet. “I don’t believe in cancel culture,” Kinew said at the time. The rally also brought dozens of counter-protestors, many of whom were seated on the Legislative Building front steps. Some counter-protestors were drumming and speaking into a megaphone during the rally speeches. Alaya McIvor was among the counter-protestors that attended the rally. “We’re standing in solidarity with our sister, Nahanni,” McIvor said. “I think people in this province need to focus on the things that are happening in our province, rather than … in our neighboring communities such as the United States of America.” McIvor said Fontaine has been the subject of violence in the past few weeks, including on social media and having her office vandalized. “And when our women are being subjected to violence and forms of violence, we won’t take them. We will stand in solidarity with those who are experiencing violence, such as Nahanni.” Last month, several windows were vandalized at Fontaine’s constituency office on Main Street and the building caught fire Tuesday morning. The Winnipeg Police Service told CTV News the major crimes unit is investigating. ‘If you have an issue, you have an issue with me’: premier Inside the legislative chamber, Kinew referred to the protestors outside as “goofballs” amid a speech during the first sitting of the fall session. “And I would say to the goofballs out-front, ‘If you have an issue, you have an issue with me. I am the one who decided to keep this minister at the cabinet table,’” Kinew said. Kinew also called on Progressive Conservative Leader Obby Khan to “tell the people … that you should not be protesting a minister of the Crown’s right to serve the people of Manitoba.” Khan then accused Kinew of trying to “silence” the voices of Manitobans. “Democracy, freedom of speech, debate, these are all healthy things in this province. What is not healthy is when the premier and the Minister of families show no empathy for someone who was murdered for expressing those rights,” Khan said. He said he has tabled more than 450 emails received by his party who want Fontaine removed from cabinet. -With files from The Canadian Press