British Columbia “will stand strong with Canada,” Premier David Eby said at a news conference Saturday after the breakdown of trade talks with the United States Friday night. The premier said everything is on the table in terms of B.C.’s participation in the Canadian response to “unfair” American tariffs. He also said the idea of returning American alcohol to the shelves of B.C. liquor stores at this time would be “absurd.” This is a breaking news update. The original story follows. Watch Eby’s remarks live on CTV News Channel or at the top of this page. The premier’s speech follows news conferences from Prime Minister Mark Carney and other premiers earlier in the day Saturday. Carney used his availability to announce that promised “dollar-for-dollar” retaliatory tariffs against the U.S. will take effect on Tuesday, Sept. 8. The prime minister pulled Canada out of trade talks late Friday night, shortly before U.S. President Donald Trump’s extended deadline for negotiations. In a statement, Carney said “last-minute changes” from the U.S. were “unfair, uneconomic and called into question the reliability of any deal.” Eby voiced his support for the move on social media Friday night, writing that British Columbians “will always stand with Canada.” “Our politeness should never be mistaken for weakness,” the premier wrote. “We’ll always defend ourselves. We didn’t ask for this, but we’ll keep fighting for as long as it takes.” ‘This is an economic emergency’ The leader of B.C.’s Official Opposition also weighed in on the breakdown of talks Friday night, describing it in a social media post as “a serious blow to Canadian workers, businesses and families.” B.C. Conservative Leader Kerry-Lynne Findlay thanked Canada’s negotiators for their hard work and their efforts to defend the country’s interests, and called for “a clear plan of action” moving forward. “British Columbians deserve clarity,” Findlay wrote. “We need to know the lay of the land, what the government’s plan is to protect our economy and workers, and what immediate supports will be available to the industries and communities most affected.” “This is an economic emergency, and it requires an urgent response,” she added. “The premier should be prepared to recall the legislature so that elected representatives can address this crisis and put forward a clear agenda to protect British Columbians.” Board of trade ‘deeply concerned’ Greater Vancouver Board of Trade president and CEO Bridgitte Anderson issued a statement Saturday morning describing her organization as “deeply concerned about the collapse of the trade talks and the impact of tariffs, which raise costs for businesses and consumers on both sides of the border.” “This latest round of tariffs imposed by the United States unfairly targets many British Columbia businesses and threatens jobs, investment and economic growth throughout our province,” Anderson said. “As Canada activates its response, it should do so strategically and in close consultation with affected industries to avoid unnecessary harm to Canadian businesses and consumers.” She added that the two countries should “keep the lines of communication open” in hopes of achieving a fair and “durable” agreement. “At the same time, this is a reminder that Canada cannot afford to wait,” Anderson said. “Governments must move urgently to reduce internal trade barriers, build trade-enabling infrastructure, advance major resource and industrial projects, diversify export markets, and do everything they can to strengthen Canada’s competitiveness.” This is a developing story. Check back for updates