'The fight is off': In Twitter spat, McGregor calls off UFC 264 fight with Poirier
Published Tuesday, April 13, 2021 10:05AM EDT Last Updated Tuesday, April 13, 2021 10:14AM EDT
In this Sept. 27, 2014, file photo, Conor McGregor, left, and Dustin Poirier, exchange hits during their mixed martial arts bout in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
BENGALURU -- Ireland's Conor McGregor has told Dustin Poirier their third fight scheduled for July 10 is off after the pair quarreled on Twitter over a US$500,000 donation to the American's charity.
Former two-weight UFC champion McGregor said earlier this month that a third fight was booked with Poirier, who became the first man to knock him out in January. McGregor knocked Poirier out in a featherweight contest in 2014.
But McGregor was not happy when Poirier said the Irishman had not made good on a promise to donate to his charity.
"A donation, not a debt. We've been awaiting the plans for the money that never came," McGregor said in a reply.
"500k with no plan in place," he added. "The fight is off... I'm going to fight someone else on the 10th."
Poirier replied by saying McGregor's team "never responded" to emails explaining where the funds would go.
(Editing by Ken Ferris)