Saskatchewan is on track to match or surpass last year’s pace of home construction, according to the province. Finance Minister Jim Reiter says more than 6,000 new homes were started in 2025, up 42 per cent from the year before. According to Reiter, that was the highest growth rate among all provinces and the highest number of housing starts recorded in Saskatchewan since 2014. “While we can’t take credit for the number of new homes being constructed and the number of rentals coming online, this is driven by the private sector,” Reiter said Thursday. “I can tell you that the role of government is definitely to put policies in place that support the right conditions for growth and affordability. ” He says construction activity so far this year suggests the province could meet or exceed last year’s total. Between January and June, Saskatchewan recorded 3,083 housing starts, putting the province on pace to keep up with 2025 levels. The province says the construction of new rental units also continues to grow, with 6,371 new units completed by 2023 and 2025. “This brought Saskatchewan’s total rental stock to 44,802 units in 2025, the highest level on record,” the province said. According to government figures, nearly 1,900 new rental units and rental construction starts have been recorded so far this year. The province says that puts Saskatchewan on pace to surpass last year’s record and further increase the province’s rental housing supply. The province says increasing housing supply is a key part of its efforts to improve affordability, noting it invested more than $60 million in its 2026-27 budget to assist in housing programs to support construction and help residents enter the housing market. Home builders have previously called for PST to be removed from new construction. Asked if the province would consider it, Reiter says taxation is a balancing act and taxes are reviewed during the budget process.