MONTREAL - An alleged arsonist will learn Friday whether he gets bail following a Molotov cocktail attack on a funeral home owned by the Rizzuto family.

Julien Bourassa-Richer told the court he's willing to abide by conditions and his girlfriend, Claudelle Jeune, came to court Wednesday offering up $2,000 in bail money.

But the prosecution argued that Montrealers had been shaken by a rash of arson attacks in recent months and it proposed sending a stern message; it said Bourassa-Richer should remain behind bars until the conclusion of the proceedings.

The Crown alleges that Bourassa-Richer, 26, was the getaway driver in an overnight attack at Loreto funeral home last week.

The two others charged in the case -- Alexandre Toulay, 27, and Sounthone Charensouk, 30 -- have had their bail hearings put off until Feb. 2.

The charges against the three include arson, arson causing damage to property, possession of incendiary material and conspiracy.

Defence lawyer Serge Lamontagne argued that no incendiary devices or material were found in the vehicle, registered to Bourassa-Richer.

A private security guard stationed outside the funeral home was the first to see two men dressed in black fleeing the home just before 1 a.m., the Crown said.

The guard took a closer look at the funeral home and noticed a smashed window and damage inside the building, the Crown added. He apparently trailed the attackers, jotted down a description and licence plate number and called 911.

Police stopped the trio minutes later.

Officers had to roll down the windows of the police car because two of the accused allegedly smelled of gasoline. At the station, Bourassa-Richer made a point of noting that he wasn't covered in gasoline.

At no point during the hearing was there any discussion about who might have ordered the attack.

Bourassa-Richer's on-and-off girlfriend for most of the last four years was at a loss to explain what he did for a living. Jeune said her boyfriend hadn't held a job for the entirety of their relationship and that she paid all the bills.

The accused told court he recently started working part-time at a car wash and wanted to learn to be an electrician; but he admitted under questioning he'd done nothing to achieve that goal.

A Quebec court judge heard the arguments and will render a decision Friday.

The Crown argued that Montrealers had been held hostage by an "epidemic of arsons" in recent months.

Veronique Beauchamp said that a strong message needs to be sent that these types of crimes are unacceptable.

"There were plenty of these cases and not all of them have seen arrests," Beauchamp said outside the courtroom.

"In this case we have people who were arrested on the spot and I think they should be held until their trial."

Montreal has been inundated by a rash of late-night arsons at various businesses, mainly Italian-style cafes, in recent months.

Police have said 19 recent arsons are linked to clashes between rival Italian Mafia clans trying to carve out territory.

The Montreal Mafia has been a key concern for law enforcement. It is currently in a state of flux, with the once-dominant Rizzuto family losing its grip on power.

The Loreto funeral home in the east-end district of Saint-Leonard was attacked early last Thursday morning.

The funeral parlour is the same place where mourners gathered for a visitation for the late Nicolo Rizzuto Sr., killed by a marksman at his home in November.