The Crown’s opening witness at a murder trial said the man accused of killing two boys in Saint John, N.B., last year was never one to take responsibility for his actions. “He had so many complaints and excuses as for why that happened in his life,” the witness, whose identity is protected under a publication ban, told the 14-member jury in court on Tuesday. Roman Kamyshnyy has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of the two boys, ages 17 and 10. A screen kept “Witness A” out of direct sight of the 46-year-old Kamyshnyy and they became emotional during the Crown’s questioning at times. “Witness A” testified that Kamyshnyy “lived in his own bubble” and didn’t have much of a social life. The relationship between “Witness A” and the accused is also protected under a court-ordered publication ban. The same publication ban also protects the identity of the two victims, who are referred to in court documents as victims A.B. and C.D. Previous court rulings have allowed the media to describe the case as one that involves alleged domestic violence. “Witness A” was on the stand for the entire morning session of the trial’s second day, when Crown prosecutor Elaina Campbell established the relationships between the witness, Kamyshnyy, and A.B. and C.D., for the jury. ‘I killed them all’ Following a break for lunch, court returned for another half hour of questions from the Crown to “Witness A.” The short session included the presentation of messages between Kamyshnyy and “Witness A” and the jury was shown a number of photos. One of the messages entered as evidence from Kamyshnyy to “Witness A” said: “I killed them all” before he shared his intentions to take his own life. A message shortly after reads: “Call for us the police and ambulance.” At one point, Kamyshnyy was seen shaking his head while the Crown detailed the various messages. Defence makes first appearance Legal Aid Lawyer Shanna Wicks, who is representing Kamyshnyy’s defence, began cross-examining “Witness A” Tuesday afternoon. She questioned the witness for 15 minutes regarding their relationship with the accused, which cannot be detailed to protect their identity. Court adjourned for the day around 3 p.m. The trial is expected to resume at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday. ‘Desperate vengeance’ The trial’s opening day saw a jury selected, as well as opening arguments from Crown prosecutors. In their opening statement, Crown prosecutor Chris Ryan read a transcript of a 911 call made by C.D. moments before he was allegedly killed by Kamyshnyy in an apartment in Saint John’s north end. “Please, please! He got a knife,” the transcript reads. “No, no. I am begging you, please, please, please.” Members of the Saint John Police Force responded to the apartment around 7 a.m. on Jan. 29, 2025. Police immediately forced their way into the barricaded apartment, where they found the body of the older boy on the kitchen floor and the younger boy in a bed. Both were allegedly stabbed to death by Kamyshnyy, before he tried to take his own life using a nail gun in an act of “desperate vengeance,” the Crown told the court Monday. Justice Darrell Stephenson is presiding over the 14-member jury trial, which is expected to last three weeks. Proceedings are expected to be completed by June 26. For more New Brunswick news, visit our dedicated provincial page.