It’s been less than three weeks since the closure of a bridge in Sussex, N.B., but many residents who live there are getting more and more concerned. The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DTI) closed the Trout Creek #1 Bridge, also known as the Maple Avenue Bridge, on March 10 due to its deteriorating condition. In an email to CTV News, a provincial spokesperson said the department has determined repairs to the bridge are not feasible and a replacement structure is needed. The bridge is located in a residential neighbourhood and is very close to the downtown area. Donna McFarlane was born and raised in Sussex and has gathered over 1,400 signatures on a petition urging the provincial government to replace the bridge. McFarlane said the closure is a big inconvenience and a huge loss of infrastructure for people in the town of roughly 4,400 people. “It’s unacceptable,” said McFarlane. The bridge was built in1936 and McFarlane said it’s been disintegrating over the past few years, and she was hoping something would be done to keep it from falling into disrepair. “People don’t want to fight with this added inconvenience. It’s detrimental to our safety, it’s detrimental to our town and really, it’s a kick in the pants to taxpayers. So yeah, we’ve had enough,” said McFarlane. McFarlane said the closure of a major artery is a huge loss to the whole area because it cuts off one of the two main traffic routes in town. A design for a new bridge has been initiated, but as of yet a timeline has not been determined. “That’s a problem,” said McFarlane, when told the news. “That’s not a good sign.” Longtime Sussex resident Judy Wood said the Maple Avenue Bridge has been falling apart for a while and wonders why there’s no timeline to replace it. “This has been happening for years and years and years,” said Wood. “It shouldn’t be this sudden closure and all of a sudden everybody is scrambling to figure out a better way to get into town or to get out of town.” Sussex is home to two major late-summer events, a giant outdoor flea market in August and a balloon festival in September. Wood can’t imagine what the traffic will be like with a section of a major artery in and out of town closed. “I can’t imagine. I’ll leave town. We’re lucky enough to have a cottage. I’ll leave town because I couldn’t tolerate that,” said Wood. All Seasons Inn & Restaurant Owner Burke Long said it’s a little hard to judge how much of an impact the closure has had on his business so far, but he fears for the worst this summer. “It’s definitely going to slow down traffic through Sussex and deter people from making what would be a few minutes’ drive through town to a lengthy one,” said Long. Long is concerned about the safety aspect as well, the town’s fire hall is located just steps away from the shuttered bridge. “We have citizens just on the other side of the bridge. Fire, ambulance, things like that, emergency services. It is a big worry for a big part of the town and the population. That weighs on everybody in a small community,” said Long. According to the province, reopening the bridge to pedestrians is being considered once a safe route can be identified. Representatives of DTI have been in contact with the town and say they will do their best, when possible, to keep people informed of progress. At the very least, McFarlane would like to see something done for pedestrians. “These are all hard-working people. They pay their taxes and they trust in the people who make decisions and I just feel they’ve been let down. We all have,” said McFarlane. “We need that bridge.” For more New Brunswick news, visit our dedicated provincial page.