A teenaged Good Samaritan, who was stabbed while trying to break up a fight between two women and a man on a bus in Surrey, B.C., has died of his injuries.

Surrey RCMP said 18-year-old Jamie Kehoe intervened in the altercation on a city bus that was stopped at 72nd Avenue and 128th Street early Saturday morning.

Police allege that one of the fight's participants stabbed Kehoe, and the weapon punctured an artery in his neck. Emergency crews found him unconscious and bleeding on the floor of the bus. Kehoe died later in hospital.

"It looks like the male stabbed him," said Insp. Randall Marquardt, who added police officers found a trail of blood on the sidewalk that led blocks away from the scene. Police believe the suspect was also injured during the fight.

Investigators are collecting video footage from security cameras along the route in the city, which is just east of Vancouver, hoping the images could help identify the suspect and the others who may have information for police.

"He's an 18-year-old boy," RCMP spokesperson Jennifer Pound said. "We need people to come forward and tell investigators what happened that night."

On Sunday, Kehoe was remembered as an avid skateboarder, who regularly showed off his moves at the North Delta Skatepark.

"I remember him being here with people he didn't know," friend Sam Newton told CTV News. "He let his skating do the talking."

Tony Casano and Donnie Chang, who work at Coastal Riders, a skate shop in Surrey, said Kehoe went into the shop on Friday. Hours later, they saw the news about Kehoe on Facebook.

"He's one of the nicest kids I've known," Casano said.

"It shouldn't have happened to him," Chang said.

Meanwhile in Ottawa, five men have been charged with aggravated assault after a Good Samaritan in that city sustained head injuries trying to stop a fight early Saturday.

Ottawa police say a number of men were assaulting another man in a parking lot near Cumberland and George Streets when a passerby intervened.

The attackers jumped on the 28-year-old who tried to break up the assault, beating him until he was unconscious before stealing his cellphone.

The victim was taken to hospital to be treated for serious but non life-threatening head injuries.

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Lisa Rossington