Most of Spain's women's players end boycott of national soccer team after government intervenes
Most of Spain's World Cup-winning players ended their boycott of the women's national team early Wednesday, but only after the government intervened to help shape an agreement to make immediate changes at the country's beleaguered soccer federation.
Two players, Barcelona teammates Patri Guijarro and Mapi Leon, opted to leave the training camp in the eastern city of Valencia after receiving guarantees from the government that they would not be sanctioned, with the rest staying after being told that some of their demands for reform would be met.
The players reported to camp on Tuesday after being picked by new coach Montse Tome against their will the day before in the latest twist in the crisis that has engulfed Spanish soccer since former federation president Luis Rubiales kissed player Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the awards ceremony following Spain's Women's World Cup title in Australia last month.
They had been in open rebellion for more than three weeks, ever since the players said on Aug. 25 that they would not play again for their country until the federation had new leadership. After Rubiales stepped down, the players still refused to come back until federation underwent thorough reform.
Two-time Ballon d'Or winner Alexia Putellas was among the majority who stayed. Even so, during practice in Valencia she told reporters that "I don't feel great about being here."
Although no specifics of the agreement were immediately announced following the meeting that concluded at nearly 5 a.m. on Wednesday, the federation took only a few hours before announcing that its secretary general, Andreu Camps, was being relieved of his duties. Camps was considered to be close to Rubiales, and his removal had been one of the changes demanded by the players.
The president of the FUTRPO players' union, Amanda Gutierrez, said steps had been made toward establishing the same treatment for Spain's women's and men's national teams.
"An agreement has been reached to make changes to the structure of women's soccer, so that the executive and administrative staff will match that of the men's team, to further professionalize the team and staff," Gutierrez said.
Victor Francos, Spain's Secretary for Sports and president of the Higher Council for Sports, said the "cordial meetings" led to the creation of a committee involving players, the federation and the government. He said the agreements should promote advances in gender policies and equal pay, as well as lead to structural changes in women's soccer.
Another step taken by the federation was the elimination of the term "de futbol femenino," "women's soccer," from the name of the team. The federation said in a statement that both the men's and women's national teams would officially be known as "Seleccion Espanola de Futbol," or "Spain's national soccer team."
"More than a symbolic change, we want this to represent a conceptual shift, and recognition that soccer is soccer, regardless of who plays it," Pedro Rocha, the federation's interim president, said in the statement.
Among the demands by the players was to have Rocha, who took over after Rubiales' resignation, to also step down.
Leon and Guijarro have not played for Spain since they formed part of a player revolt by 15 team members last year when they refused to play for the national team until the federation established a more "professional" working environment, in what turned out to be prequel to the current uprising.
"The situation for Patri (Guijarro) and me is different from our teammates," Leon said when leaving the team. "This was not the proper way to come back (to the team). We were not ready to just say, OK, we are back. This is a process. (However) it is true that we are happy that changes are being made."
Spain's acting Minister for Culture and Sports, Miquel Iceta, said he was hopeful the expected reforms by the federation would create an environment in which "the players truly feel motivated, comfortable and happy to play and to win."
Iceta said the federation plans to hold early elections in the first months of 2024.
"We hope that that the renewal of the federation will be a turning point," Iceta said.
Officials said the players did not call for Tome to step down, although it is likely that she will have some work to do to rebuild the trust of the players. Tome was an assistant to former coach Jorge Vilda at the Women's World Cup. She had resigned during the Rubiales uproar but agreed to come back to replace Vilda after he was fired.
On Monday, Tome picked nearly half of the 39 players who said they would not play for the national team until their demands were met, including 15 World Cup-winning players. Hermoso was not among them, and Tome said the decision was made as "a way to protect her." Hermoso, who said she did not consent to the kiss by Rubiales, had accused the federation of trying to intimidate her teammates by picking them for the national team against their will.
The squad announcement had been originally planned for Friday but was postponed because no agreement had been reached with the players.
The players said they were caught by surprise by the squad announcement but showed up to camp because otherwise they risked breaking a Spanish sports law that requires athletes to answer the call of national teams unless there are circumstances that impede them from playing, such as an injury.
Not responding to a call-up by a national team can expose a player to fines or even being banned from playing for their clubs. Those punishments would have to be requested by the federation to the government's sports council, which would decide whether to apply them.
The government said after the meetings that it would not seek any punishment for the players who decided to leave.
Spain will play Nations League games against Sweden on Friday and Switzerland on Tuesday.
The overnight meeting coincided with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez meeting with Gianni Infantino in New York to promote Spain's joint bid with Portugal and Morocco to host the men's World Cup in 2030. Sanchez's government had expressed concern that the Rubiales scandal could hurt the bid.
Spanish politicians, soccer clubs and players, along with many fans, have supported the players in their clash with the federation. The government and feminist groups have characterized it as a "Me Too" movement in Spanish soccer.
Joseph Wilson reported from Barcelona, Spain
The Shopping Trends team is independent of the journalists at CTV News. We may earn a commission when you use our links to shop. Read about us.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, the diplomat with the thick glasses and gravelly voice who dominated foreign policy as the United States extricated itself from Vietnam and broke down barriers with China, died Wednesday, his consulting firm said. He was 100.
A number of doctors are facing scrutiny for publicizing their opinions on the Israel-Hamas war. Critics say expressing their political views could impact patient care, while others say that it is being used as an excuse for censorship.
Compared to the peak pandemic years of 2020 and 2021, Canada experienced an uptick in prescription drug shortages in 2022 that Health Canada says has continued throughout 2023.
Owen Grace has spent the last 20 years sharing his childhood hobby, Lego, through an exhibit he calls, 'Bricks by the Sea.'
The Canadian government has reached a deal with Google over the Online News Act that will see the tech giant pay $100 million annually to publishers, and continue to allow access to Canadian news content on its platform. This comes after Google had threatened to block news on its platform when the contentious new rules come into effect next month.
'We wish we could've reached that kid earlier,' says online educator about boy's suicide after apparent sextortion
The chat may seem innocuous at first. The victims, often young men or boys, start communicating with someone posing as a young girl, typically on the popular social media platforms Instagram and Snapchat. But with sextortion, which occurs when people are blackmailed for money or sexual favours, 'sextorters' convince them to share a sexual photo or video.
Ten Israeli women and children and four Thai nationals held captive in Gaza were freed by Hamas, and Israel followed with the release of a group of Palestinian prisoners Thursday. It was the latest exchange of hostages for prisoners under a temporary ceasefire in the Gaza war. Two Russian-Israeli women were also freed by Hamas in a separate release.
Some provinces are moving to HPV tests as the primary mode of cervical cancer screening, and others are close behind, an expert says.
With speculation rising that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will follow his father's footsteps in the snow to a pre-election resignation, political columnist Don Martin focuses on one Liberal cabinet minister who's emerging as leadership material -- and who stands out as a fresh-faced contrast to the often 'angry and abrasive' leader of the Conservatives.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday that it's inappropriate to draw a link between government actions and the death of a British Columbia boy who killed himself last month after falling prey to online sextortion.
A Conservative motion demanding the 'unelected Senate' immediately pass a bill exempting more farm fuels from carbon pricing has failed, with the Bloc Quebecois saying it could not support what it called a Tory intimidation campaign.
Alberta Health Services is warning the public about a lab-confirmed case of measles in the Calgary area, adding that the public may have been exposed.
An Ontario-based study published today suggests patients treated by female surgeons incur lower health-care costs than those treated by male surgeons.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to experience the city as a raccoon, wreaking havoc and being enamored with garbage? Well, a new video game created by a Toronto-based filmmaker lets you do just that. The game, ‘Trash Panda,’ was officially released on Nov. 15 and is now available for sale.
Under Google's updated inactive-account policy, which the tech giant announced back in May, accounts that haven't been used in at least two years could be deleted. Accounts deemed inactive will be erased in a phased-approach beginning Friday.
Crews have installed what's billed as the nation's first wireless-charging public roadway for electric vehicles beneath a street just west of downtown Detroit.
Daryl Hall has accused his longtime music partner John Oates of committing the "ultimate partnership betrayal" by planning to sell his share of the Hall & Oates duo's joint venture without the other's permission, Hall said in a court declaration supporting his lawsuit to keep the transaction paused.
Elton John has addressed Britain's Parliament at an event honoring his dedication to fighting HIV in the U.K. and beyond. The British star spoke to dozens of lawmakers and campaigners in the grand Speaker's House of Parliament on Wednesday.
Royal commentator Afua Hagan on five revelations in a new book that's sure to send shockwaves through the Royal Family's ranks.