Some numbers about the dairy industries in both Canada and the U.S.
Dairy cows are seen in this undated file photo.
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:15PM EDT
OTTAWA -- Some numbers about the Canadian and U.S. dairy industries:
- Canada has about 12,000 dairy farms with about 950,000 cows.
- About 80 per cent of Canadian production is in Ontario and Quebec.
- The U.S. has over 49,000 dairy farms with about 9.3 million animals.
- California, Wisconsin and New York are the top three U.S. dairy states.
- Canadian dairy farms had net farm receipts of about $6 billion in 2015.
- U.S. dairy farms had net receipts of about $34.2 billion in 2016.
- The Canadian government says the U.S. has a 5-1 edge in its favour when it comes to the dairy trade between the two countries.
- U.S. dairy exports to Canada in 2016: US$631.6 million.
- Canadian dairy exports to the U.S. in 2016: $112.6 million.