Tories announce plan to help resettle stranded North Korean refugees
Conservative candidate Jason Kenney delivers remarks in Dartmouth, N.S., on Friday, Oct. 2, 2015. (Darren Pittman / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:22PM EDT
TORONTO -- The Conservatives are proposing a plan to help resettle stranded North Korean refugees.
At an event in Toronto on Wednesday, Jason Kenney said a re-elected Conservative government would develop specialized immigration measures in response to a request from the Korean community.
Kenney said the program will focus on North Korean refugees stuck in countries in Southeast Asia.
The minister of multiculturalism says the plan would focus on individuals who have secured support of the Canadian-Korean community or through other designated groups.
"Our Conservative government's openness to North Korean refugees is in keeping with Canada's best humanitarian traditions," Kenney said.
The Conservatives say Stephen Harper has been clear in condemning North Korea for their "atrocious human rights record" and "belligerent actions at the United Nations."
The party also says Canada remains a leader in refugee resettlement.
The Conservative government faced increased pressure to address the Syrian refugee crisis during the course of the election campaign.
Public pressure mounted after a photo of a three-year-old boy found dead on a Turkish beach was shown around the world.
Last month, the government announced it will expedite the processing of refugee applications to bring in "thousands more" Syrians and Iraqis by the end of the year.
Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announced the new measures will mean 10,000 Syrian refugees the government previously promised to resettle in the next three years would be brought to Canada by September 2016.