PMO denies allegations aide offered access to PM
CTV.ca News Staff
Published Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:00PM EDT
Sources have told CTV News that former Prime Minister's Office aide Bruce Carson allegedly promised First Nations bands and companies access to the prime minister in exchange for money.
The PMO has denied the accusations, saying in a statement to CTV News that Prime Minister Stephen Harper "has never met with, been spoken to or been lobbied by Bruce Carson on any of these matters."
Carson has previously worked as a senior policy advisor to Harper, focusing on the energy and environment portfolios. He was also director of policy and research for Harper when he was still leader of the Opposition.
APTN reported on the allegations against Carson.
"Upon being informed of these allegations by APTN we have turned them over to the RCMP Commissioner, the Ethics Commissioner and the Lobbying Commissioner," the PMO said.
"Given what we've learned about Bruce Carson, our Government will not be in communication with him on any matter," the statement added.