With patio time just around the corner, Steve Gill demonstrates how to make your own fresh and flavourful salsa.
- 4 Tomatillos
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Water
- 10-20 Chile de Arbol (Depending on desired heat level)
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ Small onion
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 450F.
- Bring small pan of water to boil
Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse to remove soap-like film.
- Place tomatillos in boiling water and boil for approx. 10 minutes until soft but not broken.
- Remove from boiling water, set aside
Place Chile de Arbol on baking tray into heated oven and roast for 60 seconds until slightly blackened.
- Remove and grind the chiles.
- Be careful to avoid contact with eyes.
Wash and score the tomatoes with an X pattern across the top.
- Place on baking sheet in oven and roast for 10 minutes until soft and slightly charred
- Combine roasted tomatoes, blackened chiles, boiled tomatillos with garlic, oregano, onions, salt and water in container and blend on high until desired consistency.
- Place salsa in small pot and simmer for 10 minutes to smooth out flavours.