Pop-up Dinner: Deconstructed Corn Chowder With Leek and Prawn Dumpling
Published Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:15PM EDT Last Updated Friday, April 1, 2016 6:03AM EDT
Deconstructed Corn Chowder With An Open-Face Leek and Prawn Dumpling
For the corn broth (makes 4 cups, can be saved for future use)
- 12 corncobs (kernels removed)
- 1 large lump of Chinese Rock Sugar
- 1 agave nectar/honey
- 14 C Cold H2O
For the leek and prawn filling
- 2 C leeks, finely chopped
- 2 C raw shrimps, 31/35 and up, deveined
- Chicken Bouillion
For the dumpling (can make up to 20 dumplings)
- 6 Wonton wrappers (Circular)
- H2O or egg white for dabbing
- Oil for frying
For the Paprika Hollandaise
- 150g Butter, salted, small cubes
- 40g White Wine Vinegar
- 5g Paprika (Sweet or Smoked preferred)
- 10g green onions/chive
- 3 egg yolk (85g)
- 60g H2O
- 20g lemon juice
- 3g Salt, Kosher
- ½ t xanthan gum
- 2 N2O cartidges
For the Charred Corn
- ½ c Corn kernels
- Vegetable/corn oil
- 1T Sugar
- 1/4 T salt
- Torch + Butane
- Safflower or small flower herb, hanaho
For the Corn stock
- Put all corncobs into 14 C of cold water in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Add rock sugar, honey/nectar and continue to reduce for 30 minutes.
- Pass through fine, #50 sieve, discard solids.
- Serve warm. Freeze unused product.
For the Hollandaise
- Using a high speed blender. Add all ingredients except xanthan gum and butter. Blend on high.
- Work blender to a steaming, hot temperature and add butter cube by cube. The consistency will get thicker and maybe creamy.
- Continue to blend until hollandaise has a pale yellow colour.
- Add a small amount of xanthan gum to stabilize it.
- Add into siphon, charge once and release. Charge the second time and keep hollandaise at a warmed temperature.
For the filling and dumpling
- Preheat oil to 170F.
- Using an electric mixer, add shrimp to bowl and set on medium speed (2-3
- minutes depending).
- Once shrimp churns into a paste-like, add leeks and chicken bouillon and set
- for high for 1 minute.
- With an open hand, fill 1 T of dumpling filling into wonton wrapper. Plead both the sides of dumpling into a boat-like structure, use egg-white/water to moisten and strengthen the dough. You may cut off the excess for presentation purposes. Keeping the edge might give it a great edge.
- Add dumpling to oil, cook until crispy, golden and shrimp is fully cooked.
- Drain on paper towel. Set aside.
For the Charred Corn
- Lightly oil corn kernels. Disperse kernels on a heat conducting surface or metal sheet pan.
- Sprinkle a 2:1 ratio balance of sugar and salt. Corn should tast sweet but savoury.
- Warm corn stock, set aside.
- Place dumpling shrimp side up on plate and spoon 1 T of charred corn.
- Siphon a small amount of hollandaise on open-faced dumpling.
- Pour warm corn stock onto side without drenching crispy dumpling.
- Garnish with aspark of colour. Enjoy.