Thrive Energy: Red Lentil & Chickpea Burger Patties
Published Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:21AM EST
Red Lentil & Chickpea Burger Patties
With its blast of nutrition and flavour, this burger is a favourite of those who are accustomed to being well satisfied at the end of a meal. This is an ideal burger if you are transitioning to plant-based clean eating.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Special Equipment: Food processor
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked (or rinsed canned) chickpeas
- 1 large cooking onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) lemon juice
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) fresh bread crumbs made from Silver Hills or your favourite sprouted bread (use Silver Hills Rice Bread for a gluten-free option)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground coriander
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sea salt
- In a saucepan, boil the lentils in 2 cups (500 mL) of water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain, spread evenly on a baking sheet, and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, combine 1 ½ cups (375 mL) of the chickpeas, onion, garlic and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Transfer cooled lentils to a large bowl. Add the pureed chickpea mixture, remaining whole chickpeas, red pepper, cilantro, parsley, quinoa, bread crumbs, cumin, corander, paprika, black pepper, and salt to taste. Mix well with your hands.
- Form the mixture into ¾ inch (2 cm) thick patties.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, warm the patties for about 4 mins per side.
Cashew Berry French Toast
Don't be scared off by the long list of ingredients. The flavour makes it all worthwhile. The deliciousness of this French Toast has made it a Thrive Energy Favourite
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Special Equipment: blender, gridder
- ½ cup (125 mL) raw cashews
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) virgin coconut oil
- 4 slices sprouted bread (my favourite is Silver Hills)
- 2 heaping tbsp. (35 mL) coconut cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh blueberries
- 3 or 4 fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- In a blender, combine the cashews, water, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat griddle to medium. Brush with coconut oil.
- Dip both sides of the bread into the cashew mixture. Cook on each side until golden brown.
- Top with coconut cream, fresh berries, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Chocolate Chip French Vanilla Smoothie
Possibly the most delicious and satisfying Thrive Energy smoothie, this is a go-to choice for those who love the combination of vanilla and chocolate.
Prep time: 2 to 3 minutes
Special Equipment: high-speed blender
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chia seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) almond butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cacao nibs
- 1 scoop French vanilla-flavour Vega One Nutritional Shake
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) coconut water
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) pure vanilla extract or powder
- About 2 cups (500 mL) ice cubes