Strawberry shortcake with coconut whipped cream
Published Monday, June 1, 2015 8:36AM EDT Last Updated Monday, June 1, 2015 10:28AM EDT
Total time: 35-40 minutes
Active time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups GF all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted.
- 1 ½ cups organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 8 tablespoons water
- 2 cups vanilla coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup strawberries, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two 12-cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the coconut oil, then add the sugar, flax mixture, yogurt and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat with a hand mixer. Gently fold in the strawberries. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the 24 liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Allow to cool completely before frosting with Vanilla Buttercream or one of the variations.
Coconut Whipped Cream
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 6 hours for refrigerating the coconut milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Refrigerate the unopened can of coconut milk for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Place a glass or metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill.
- Remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge and flip it upside down. The coconut water and cream will have separated; the cream will be at the bottom of the can. Drain the liquid, leaving the cream in the can.
- Scoop the coconut cream into the prepared chilled mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the coconut cream until it’s light and fluffy, for 3-5 minutes
- Mix in the vanilla and the maple syrup.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week
Makes 1 cup
Note: You can keep the coconut water to use in smoothies, sauces, or even salad dressings.
Makes 24 cupcakes