Morning Sunshine Donut from chef Maggie McKeown
Published Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:17AM EST Last Updated Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:29PM EST
Chef Maggie McKeown makes a 'Morning Sunshine Donut' which is an Earl Grey Tea Whipped Cream topped with Vanilla Braised Grapefruit on a Toasted Cake Donut.
sugar, granulated 1 cup
baking powder 4 tsp
salt 1 1/2 tsp
nutmeg 1/2 tsp
unsalted butter, melted 1/4 cup
milk 1 cup
all purpose flour 4 cups (little more if dough is sticky)
vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add eggs, milk, and melted butter. Beat well.
2. Add 3 cups of flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If needed add 1/2 cup more flour.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. Remove dough from the fridge and begin heating oil to 360°F. If you are not using a deep fryer you will need about one inch of oil and a very tall pot.
5. Working half the dough at a time, roll it our on a floured surface to about 1/2" thickness. Cut out circles using a donut cuttter. Use something round for the centre. I sometimes use the cap off my martini shaker to cut the holes!
6. Gently drop the donuts in batches into the hot oil. Flip them over as they puff and turn them a couple of times as they cook. They will take about 2-3 minutes in total and will be golden brown.
7. Remove from the oil and set them on paper towel to remove extra oil.
8. Toss in powdered sugar. ***Also try cinnamon sugar, chocolate ganache or festive sprinkles!
- *Cake donuts, sliced in half - 4
- Whipped cream 35% -1 cup
- Sugar, granulated - 1 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract - ½ tsp
- Earl Grey Tea - 1 bag
- **Grapefruit segments - 3
- Sugar, granulated - 2 cups
- Water - 1 cup
- Vanilla bean, sliced length wise - 1
- Mint, sliced thinly (if desired)
- Place a small pot on a stove over low heat. Add whipped cream and tea stirring occasionally. Turn stove off when it starts to bubble. Remove the tea bag and strain if necessary. Place bowl in refrigerator until completely cooled
- Beat cooled infused cream, with sugar and vanilla until medium peaks are formed
- Boil sugar and water in a saucepan. Remove from heat and add vanilla bean. Once cooled add in grapefruit segments and mint
- Toast donut halves. Add a dollop of Earl Grey tea to one side of donut, top with simple syrup and grapefruit segments. Top with second half of donut and serve immediately
- *you can purchase cake donuts from Uncle Betty's
- **When segmenting the grapefruit make sure to remove all the pith