Hostas: the favourite perennial
Published Friday, June 3, 2016 6:00AM EDT
I love hostas.
As I was preparing for this segment with Jeff, I counted the specimens in my collection. I am up to more than 50.
This would be a problem, if it were something else [perhaps] but not hostas.
I love them for:
- Their blossoms: which vary from early to late summer bloomers.
- Size variations: from the 8 centimetres 'Mouse Ears' to 1.2 metre giants
- For their versatility: they grow in dry shade and bright sunshine, though the variegated ones tend to bleach out in full sun.
- Hummingbirds love their blossoms.
- There are reliably hardy to zone 2, which is far north of Edmonton.
- And there are over 7,000 varieties on the market.
Need more reasons to plant hostas?
Speak to anyone who loves perennials and I will bet that they put hostas near the top of their list of "top 10 favourite perennials."
More info at www.markcullen.com