Fresh from the oven, delicious scone recipes
Sandra Katsiou, Baker & Scone
Published Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:53AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:55AM EDT
Scone Jammies - basic scone recipe
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (keep cold)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon zested
- raspberry jam
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 415F.
- Combine in a large bowl - flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Zest lemon directly into bowl. Stir with a whisk to evenly incorporate.
- Grate the cold butter into the flour mixture with a box grater. Mix in the butter well.
- Mix cream and buttermilk together, and add vanilla.
- Add the cream mixture to flour mixture and knead very gently just until dough holds together.
- Pat out onto counter and fold over a few times.
- Cut into rounds and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Press centres down gently with a spoon to make a depressed area to hold the jam.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, press the centers back down a little and add the jam of your choice.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
Classic Lemon Curd
- 24 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 500mL lemon juice
- 2 lemons zested
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 lbs butter cubed
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in large pot
- Add lemon juice, zest and salt
- Cook over medium heat, scraping with a spatula until thickened. Stir in butter until incorporated.
- Strain and chill
Scone Eggy Tarts
- Take your favourite scone or tea biscuit.
- Hollow out the center a bit by pulling some of the dough out.
- Crack a small or medium size egg inside the hole.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese chopped chives and salt and pepper
- Bake again in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes or until egg is cooked to desired doneness!