Jan. 5, 2011: Looneyspoons' recipe for a quick and easy quinoa salad
Quinoa is well rinsed in cold water in this March 19, 2007 photo. (AP Photo/Larry Crowe)
CTV.ca News Staff
Published Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:37AM EST
Moroccan Quinoa Salad
Step one ingredients:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (see note below)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp honey (or sugar)
- ½ tsp salt
Step one directions:
Combine all ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until all liquid absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand covered for 10 min. Fluff with fork and leave uncovered to cool completely.
When quinoa is cool, transfer to large mixing bowl.
Add step two ingredients:
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup each finely chopped red bell pepper, grated carrots (packed), diced English cucumber (peeled)
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Step two directions:
Mix well and refrigerate for at least an hour or two before eating. Tastes even better the next day!
Note: To save time, look for quinoa that says "pre-washed" or "pre-rinsed" on the package. Quinoa must be rinsed before using to remove the bitter outer coating. If you buy quinoa that isn't pre-rinsed, put it in a mesh strainer/sieve and run cold water over it for about 30 seconds.