New measles case in Niagara brings Ontario total to 17
A measles vaccine is shown on a countertop at the Tamalpais Pediatrics clinic Friday, Feb. 6, 2015, in Greenbrae, Calif. (AP/Eric Risberg)
Published Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:45PM EST
A sixth case of the measles has been confirmed in the Niagara Region, bringing Ontario's total to 17, health officials said Wednesday.
The latest case involves an unvaccinated female, the medical officer of health for the region said Wednesday. She is believed to be connected to the previous five cases.
The diagnosis comes after Ontario health officials earlier this week issued a warning to attendees of a Toronto church event who were exposed to the virus.
One of the patients in the Niagara Region confirmed to have contracted measles was at the "Acquire the Fire" Christian youth gathering on Feb. 6 and 7.
"(That person) obviously didn’t travel with what they knew to be (the) measles disease," Ontario’s acting chief medical officer, Dr. Robin Williams, previously told The Canadian Press. "It was during the (infectious period)."
With files from the Canadian Press