Canada Safety Council offers fire prevention tips
Next week is national home fire safety week and the Canada Safety Council suggests talking to your family about fire safety.
The Safety Council suggests testing fire extinguishers, drawing a map of your home and making sure you know your escape routes.
Other tips include:
- Keep a timer handy to remind you when the oven and burners should be switched off.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- Keep a pot cover nearby to "put a lid on it" in the event of a fire.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or use extension cords in the place of additional outlets.
- Never leave cigarettes in an ashtray unattended.
- Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out of the reach of children.
- Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area. For improved safety, install a smoke alarm in every bedroom.
For more tips, check out the Canada Safety Council's website