Harry to be best man, Kate's sister maid of honour
Prince William has chosen his brother Prince Harry to be his best man, and fiancee Kate Middleton has chosen her sister Philippa -- known as Pippa -- to serve as her maid of honour.
The news was announced Monday on Prince Charles' website, officially ending months of speculation.
The couple is to be wed on April 29, 2011 at Westminster Abbey in London.
The statement listed the following children as being chosen as page boys and bridesmaids:
- The Lady Louise Windsor -- (age 7 - daughter of The Earl and Countess of Wessex)
- The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones -- (age 8 - daughter of Viscount and Viscountess Linley)
- Miss Grace van Cutsem -- (age 3 - daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh van Cutsem)
- Miss Eliza Lopes --(age 3 - daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lopes)
- Master William (Billy) Lowther-Pinkerton -- (age 10 - son of Mr. and Mrs. Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton)
- Master Tom Pettifer -- (age 8 - son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pettifer)
Adam Gabbatt, of The Guardian newspaper, said royal marriages tend to include younger people in the wedding party.
"It is the tradition to have them quite young and when you look at the spread and where the bridesmaids come from and who their parents are, a lot of them are very close to the royal line," he told CTV's Canada AM.
While William has broken tradition by proposing to Middleton, a so-called commoner, the list of those selected to be in the wedding party represents a nod to royal tradition, Gabbatt said.
Louise, 7, is the Queen's youngest granddaughter and the daughter of William's uncle, Prince Edward.
Margarita is also of royal lineage, granddaughter of Princess Margaret and great-granddaughter to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.
Grace, 3, is William's goddaughter.
Eliza, 3, is the granddaughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who is married to William's father Prince Charles.
Billy, 10, is the son of Billy Lowther-Pinkerton, the private secretary to William and Harry.
Tom, William's 8-year-old godson, is the son of the princes' childhood nanny Tiggy Pettifer.