Feds creating confusion for man on watchlist: supporters
Abousfian Abdelrazik, who is about to leave with a busload of supporters to New York to try to become the first person ever removed from the UN's no-fly list, listens to questions during a news conference Wednesday, June 15, 2011 in Montreal. (Paul Chiasson / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, July 15, 2011 1:58PM EDT
MONTREAL - Supporters of a Montreal man on a UN terror watchlist say the federal government is creating further confusion about his already complicated status.
Earlier this year, the Quebec government told Abousfian Abdelrazik he could not receive child-assistance benefits because he was on the list and would need an exemption from Ottawa.
But Ottawa is telling his lawyer that as long as the funds are deposited into a frozen bank account, no exemption from the foreign affairs minister is necessary.
Abdelrazik is limited in how much he can withdraw each month from the account.
His lawyer, Khalid Elgazzar, says the interpretation only muddies the waters further when it comes to his client's status.
Abdelrazik spent six years in forced exile in Sudan, some of which was spent in prison where he says he was tortured.
Despite being exonerated, he is still on the UN Security Council's 1267 list, which means Abdelrazik can't leave Canada and has numerous restrictions on his financial assets.