George Clooney's Wedding: 10 things we know about the secret plans
Boats sails past the Rialto bridge in Venice, Italy. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)
Maria Tallarico, Special to CTVNews.ca
Published Friday, September 26, 2014 7:41AM EDT
1. The Bride and Groom: Actor and director George Clooney is as well-known for his film roles as he is for his dashing good looks and commitment… to bachelorhood. Upon meeting international human rights attorney, Amal Alamuddin, Clooney quickly reconsidered his single status. The two were engaged in May, with Clooney quipping that his coupling with the British-Lebanese barrister is “marrying up.”
2. The Date: Venice is on high alert for the celebration, which is happening this weekend. On September 11, Clooney publicly declared that he would be married “in Italy in a couple of weeks. In Venice of all places.”
3. The Ceremony: Italy’s daunting pre-wedding paperwork requirements (including a verbal declaration at a designated town hall at least two days prior to the ceremony) didn’t deter the couple’s expeditious planning; the Venice city council has issued a very understated confirmation to warn residents of street and canal closures on Monday.
4. The Reception: Guests will be transported by ferry to Aman Canal Grande Hotel, an award-winning 7-star resort. The historic palazzo is lauded as both romantic and luxurious with it sweeping frescos, private dock for boat-only access and stunning canal views.
5. What Will He Wear? In keeping with the Italian theme, Clooney has been fitted for a tuxedo by his friend and frequent red carpet pick, Giorgio Armani.
6. The Dress: Ms. Alamuddin has her choice of gowns, and speculation is pointing towards two of England’s top designers: Stella McCartney (Alamuddin was spotted en route to Venice with a McCartney garment bag) or Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen (designer of Duchess Kate Middleton’s now-iconic wedding dress). If her personal style is any indication, Alamuddin will opt for an elegant and modern look.
7. The Best Man: Clooney’s longtime friend and business partner (and possible best man) Rande Gerber loaded up 50 cases of Casamigos Tequila (the spirit owned by Clooney and Gerber) for a private flight out of Los Angeles. His supermodel wife Cindy Crawford is likely to join him at the wedding.
8. The Officiant: Clooney confidante and former mayor of Rome, Walter Vetroni reportedly obtained a license in order to perform the ceremony.
9. The Honeymoon: Clooney and Alamuddin have options. They can remain in Italy at his estate in Lake Cuomo, or head for sunny weather in the Baja Peninsula (Casamigos Tequila is named after George and Rande’s adjacent villas in Los Cabos, Mexico).
10. Celebrity guest list: Clooney’s A-list status means that many in Hollywood will be angling for an invite – Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, and Bono are just a few who may RVSP “yes.”