Conrad Black facing lawsuit from camera operator
TORONTO - Conrad Black has been sued by a television camera operator who has accused the imprisoned former media baron of shoving him in the Chicago courthouse during Black's trial last year.
In a lawsuit filed in Chicago, Gary Babbitt was working for Chicago television station WGN at the time when he claims Black deliberately walked into him and injured his shoulder.
Brian Shallcross of Clifford Law Offices said Thursday his client will be seeking damages that "reflects both the severity of our clients injury'' and "some kind of punitive damages.''
None of the allegations have yet been proven in court.
The Montreal-born press baron was convicted of fraud and obstruction of justice last year over payments he took while he was the head of Hollinger International.
He is serving a six-and-a-half-year sentence for fraud and obstruction of justice in a central Florida prison.
"Mr. Black made a decision without provocation to go out of his way to injure my client in such a way that has caused him to be unable to continue working as a cameraman,'' Shallcross said.
"This is just another example of Mr. Black's general disdain for the media.''