LAS VEGAS - Superstar Celine Dion says she remains determined to have a second child despite four failed attempts to conceive through in vitro fertilization.

The music diva made the comments on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" the same day she announced plans to return to Caesars Palace with a glitzy new stage show inspired by the romance of classic Hollywood movies.

The 41-year-old Dion told Oprah Winfrey she is determined to keep trying for another baby, convinced that "five is my lucky number."

The superstar suffered a widely reported miscarriage last summer.

Dion's TV appearance came as she released a statement announcing a three-year residency at The Colosseum in Las Vegas beginning in March 2011.

She says the show will feature a full orchestra and band with 31 musicians and offer a mix of timeless Hollywood classics, along with fan favourites.

On "Oprah," Dion spoke candidly about her attempts to expand her family with manager-husband Rene Angelil.

"We tried four times to have a child, we're still trying," said Dion, dressed in a form-fitting black leather dress.

"We're on the fifth try and I tell you if five is my lucky number, this fifth try has got to come in," said Dion, leaning in to slap Winfrey's palm with a high five.

Dion also revealed on Wednesday's show that she regularly takes her nine-year-old son Rene-Charles to school and even volunteers there, determined to be as supportive a mother as possible, despite her celebrity status.

"I don't hang too, too much and I'll tell you why... I want to be RC's mom, I don't want to be RC's mom who's Celine Dion that we saw last week on tour," she said.

"But at the same time I don't want to withdraw myself from being my son's mother. I'm his mother."

"When I'm home and I go and get my son, this is the place that I feel most rewarded."

Dion is set to return to Caesars Palace three years after a celebrated five-year run of sold-out shows there.

It was followed by a year-long worldwide tour in 2008-2009, in which she visited five continents and 25 countries. Dion's new Vegas show will premiere March 15, 2011.

"I'm coming back home to The Colosseum at Caesars Palace and I'm very excited about it," Dion said Wednesday in a release.

"With the orchestra and the band we're going to be able to perform our songs like never before. The repertoire is going to be extraordinary ... a mix of timeless Hollywood classics, along with all the favorites that my fans like to hear me sing. It's going to be a very beautiful show, and I think we'll be raising the bar higher than we've ever done before. There'll be some truly wonderful moments ... I can't wait!"

Tickets for performances from March 15 through Aug. 14, 2011 go on sale Friday and range in price from $55 to $250, not including taxes and fees.

A film based on Dion's Taking Chances World Tour, "Celine: Through the Eyes of the World," hits theatres Feb. 17.

The Canadian Tenors also appeared on Wednesday's instalment of "The Oprah Winfrey Show, which was taped last week.

Dion joined them onstage to sing the Leonard Cohen classic "Hallelujah."