One and a half years after 15-year-old Amanda Todd chronicled her story of bullying and harassment by an Internet predator, then took her own life, an individual has been charged in connection with the case.

Dutch privacy laws prevent officials from naming the man, but some details about the suspect have emerged following his court appearance in Amsterdam on Wednesday.

Here’s what we know so far:

He is 35-year-old man identified under Dutch privacy laws only as “Aydin C.”

He has dual Dutch and Turkish citizenship and lives alone.

Police arrested him in January, at a vacation house in the Dutch town of Oisterwijk, following an investigation into offences in the Netherlands.

The Dutch National Public Prosecutor’s Office says he is believed to have victimized an unknown number of girls in other countries, including the U.S. and the U.K.

Dutch prosecutors say the man is also suspected of having “defrauded” adult men outside the Netherlands by encouraging them to perform sexual acts on webcam under the assumption they were in contact with an underage boy, then threatening to release the images to the police.

The man is currently in custody in the Netherlands facing charges which include indecent assault, the production and dissemination of child pornography, fraud, computer intrusion, and the possession of hard drugs.

British Columbia RCMP say he faces an additional five charges under the Criminal Code of Canada, for incidents that occurred between January 1, 2010 and October 10, 2012 in connection with the Amanda Todd case. The charges include extortion, Internet luring, criminal harassment, possession of child pornography for the purposes of distribution, and possessing child pornography.

“Thanks to the diligence of our investigators and the assistance of provincial, national and international partners, we’ve achieved a major milestone: criminal charges,” Inspector Paulette Freill of the RCMP said in a news release on Thursday. “But our work isn’t over, and Amanda’s story isn’t done, as long as the court processes here and in the Netherlands are still underway.”

The accused man’s lawyer, Christian van Dijk, said more evidence is needed to convict his client, who hasn’t entered a plea. He added that the man’s computer may have been hacked.