Slain Quebec soldier Patrice Vincent 'loved life'
Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, 53, died as a result of his injuries after a hit-and-run incident in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. on Monday, Oct. 20, 2014. (Department of National Defence)
A Quebec soldier killed in a hit-and-run in Quebec one week ago “loved life” and his service was “his way of making a difference in our world,” his family said in a statement announcing funeral arrangements for the 53-year-old.
Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was killed one week ago when he was struck by a car while walking through a parking lot in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. The man responsible, Martin Couture-Rouleau, was shot dead by police following a brief car chase.
A second soldier received minor injuries.
Vincent’s family said in a statement that his death “will leave an immense emptiness in our hearts,” and noted that he was proud to serve in the Armed Forces.
“He did what he loved and we gave him our support during his 28 years of service,” the family said.
The federal government has said the attack was linked to “terrorist ideology.” Couture-Rouleau was later identified as one of dozens of people on an RCMP list of high-risk travellers. His passport had been revoked.
Vincent’s family also reached out to Couture-Rouleau’s family, saying their thoughts are with them “as they go through these difficult moments.”
The family also offered condolences to the family of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, who was shot dead last Wednesday while standing guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. The perpetrator, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, was killed during a gunfight with police and Parliament Hill security guards after he stormed Centre Block.
“Know that we share your grief and that we are with you wholeheartedly,” the Vincent family said.
Vincent’s funeral will be held on Sat., Nov. 1 at 11 a.m. at the Cathedral de Longueuil. The service is closed to the media.