Sask. woman says dog 'Rex' saved her life from Christmas Eve fire
A Saskatchewan family is crediting their dog, Rex, with saving their grandmother from a destructive Christmas Eve fire.
Noreen Lucas was home sick with pneumonia when 9-year-old Rex suddenly woke her from her sleep and alerted her to the danger.
The rest of the family was out for dinner at another relative's home, and Lucas had been home alone, napping on the couch in the living room.
But her sleep was interrupted when Rex grabbed her and began trying to drag her across the floor.
"I was so comatose so when Rex woke me up, dragging me, I knew there was something wrong," Lucas said.
She looked up and saw flames engulfing the house's hallway.
Together with Rex, she freed the family's other dog and two cats from the home, and made it to safety.
The house was completely destroyed.
"I wouldn't be alive without that dog," Lucas said.
Since that night, the Vonda, Sask. family says their community has rallied to help them move into a rental house and deal with the loss of their home.
But they say they're grateful that, thanks to Rex, they didn't lose more than a house.
"It could have been a lot worse," Santana Hawman, Lucas's daughter-in-law, told CTV Saskatoon.
Her husband, Mitch Hawman, agreed.
"(Rex) is part of the family and he saved a family member so he definitely deserves recognition for that," he said. "I owe my dog my life because he saved my mom's life."
With files from CTV Saskatoon