Hours after Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was heckled during his first public event since his return from rehab, a report emerged suggesting that he was disruptive and difficult during his time at the facility.

Ford held a press conference on Eglinton Avenue in mid-town Toronto on Tuesday to update residents on the ongoing project to revitalize the busy east-west corridor. A handful of shirtless protesters stood behind Ford yelling “resign,” but Ford continued on with his remarks as if nothing was happening.

At one point his chief of staff tried to physically block a protester from view, and Toronto police say Ford’s sobriety coach kicked a protester in the knee.

“It’s all right, it’s all right,” Ford said when asked if he was bothered by the protest. “It’s fine, it’s fine.”

The shirtless protesters were inspired by a shirtless jogger who confronted Ford on Canada Day.

Later Tuesday, the Toronto Star reported that Ford “did not embrace the program” during his two-month stint in rehab and was verbally abusive to other residents and staff.

Ford was also physically aggressive during his stay at GreeneStone, north of Toronto, and was eventually asked to leave his therapy group, investigative reporter Kevin Donovan told CTV National News on Tuesday night.

“My sources have told me that Mayor Ford did not embrace the program. He was often verbally abusive, sometimes physically aggressive, to other residents and to staff,” Donovan said.

Donovan added that Ford was reportedly “stomping his foot, talking over people, using profanity, not acting like a person who really wanted to change his behaviour.”

Donovan says he obtained accounts from three unnamed sources including a patient and staffer at the facility.

According to the report, Ford allegedly broke items at the facility, fought with other residents and spent hours alone in his private cottage on the facility’s grounds.

While Ford allegedly was forced out of his therapy group, he did continue with one-on-one therapy.

GreeneStone management was concerned that Ford was using drugs or alcohol during his time there, the paper also reported. A so-called “nature walk” on GreeneStone’s property has a secluded area at the far end where staff are concerned residents go to meet drug dealers or others who bring them alcohol.

The paper was unable to confirm whether Ford actually used any drugs or alcohol during his time in rehab.

Despite his actions, Ford was allowed to remain at the facility until late June. He returned to work on June 30.

Ford did not respond to the star’s request for comments about the report.

When Ford returned to City Hall, he credited GreeneStone staff with helping to save his life, and said his commitment to "living clean is now unwavering."

With a report from CTV’s John Vennavally-Rao